Emily came over on Sunday and I made this prawn pasta for our dinner. She was really sweet saying how much she liked it so I thought I'd share the recipe because it's a super easy dinner that you can make with things you already have on hand. (Assuming you have raw prawns on hand. Which I do.)
Pasta (spaghetti is nicest)
Peeled raw prawns (I get these frozen in kilo bags from the fishmonger at Southgate)
Chilli flakes (or fresh if you prefer)
Salt and pepper
1. Put your pasta on to cook
2. Heat a bit of olive oil in a frying pan. Throw in the garlic, about a teaspoon, then put the prawns in and sprinkle a bit of chilli plus salt and pepper to taste. Stir it around for a while.
3. When the prawns are approaching cooked, add your wine, cream, some juice from the lemon and some extra olive oil. Just add a bit at a time and stir it as you go until it's nicely combined and reduced. Don't use too much! You only want to end up with maybe a tablespoon of liquid per person.
4. Hopefully by now your pasta is cooked, so drain it and - SECRET INGREDIENT TIME - mix a bit of butter through it.
5. Chuck the pasta into the frying pan, wiggle the pan about and pretend you're Jamie Oliver, then mix it with a spoon or tongs so it actually gets combined. If your pan's not big enough for all your pasta, just put everything in a large bowl and stir.
6. Gobble it all up.
*This would be good with other seafood e.g. smoked salmon if you had it, and you could also add some fresh or frozen spinach if you were so inclined or maybe some little tomatoes.
*If you don't have wine you could use vodka, or chicken stock, or just leave it out. I buy UHT cream in a carton so I always have some in the pantry and you should too.
*Invite a kind friend over to share it so she will say lovely things about your cooking.