Monday 30 June 2014

Last Friday Night

Last Friday night I heard about an EOFY drinks night at Barista Haus in Rockdale. Usually they are just a 9-5 coffee-and-sandwiches place so this was a bit out of the ordinary, but it was FREE so naturally I rounded up the rest of the Rockdale crew (i.e. James and our friend Ben - hello if you're reading!) and headed out.


The lady hosting was really lovely and the drinks were really free (and as you can see, not el cheapo ones either). We also grabbed this delicious cheese plate for $20. They had a smaller one for ten bucks, but I was pretty starving and it was well worth it.

The ambience was a little lacking and it wasn't as busy as I had expected, perhaps because there was no sign outside so passers-by probably thought it was a private function. But it was still a pretty fun place to hang out and I think with dimmer lighting and louder music it would be a super fun little bar, I hope they'll keep doing things like this!


On Saturday morning James and I went to the Ramsgate Organic Foodies Market, which is always a treat.











At night I met Meg (hi Meg!) to eat way too many dumplings at Taste of Shanghai (thanks Brendan for the recommendation!) and watch The Fault In Our Stars.

I haven't decided how good it was yet - it was slightly unrealistic, but in the way that I imagined the world really was when I was a teenager, so given that it's for and about teenagers that could be a strength. What I can say for sure is that it is SUPER SAD. Everyone cried.


James and I met a couple of the boys at a serious board games shop called Good Game in Hurstville because they were having a big sale.


It's not my favourite place, but we availed ourselves of their free games library and gaming tables for a bit of Cards Against Humanity.


Afterwards we decided to grab a late lunch. The boys from Peacock Trattoria have opened up a new restaurant in Gymea, the Italian Stallion, so we were really keen to give it a try.


It's not exactly the same as Peacock's but I think if you liked one you'd like the other.


Especially if you're a cocktails enthusiast - these were great!


We started with a ham, mascarpone and mushroom pizza to share. 


Peacock's have the same thing without mushrooms and I love it, but this was even better. I think it had truffle oil too so definitely one for the mushroom lovers.

For our actual lunch we had these burgers:


I loved the pickles, and I liked how they served them and the onions on the side so I could add them to taste. I liked the orange cheese, and I liked the tomato relish for my fries. But overall, I wasn't wild about the burger. I consider myself a bit of a connoisseur of burgers these days, and this one just didn't quite do it for me.

The pizza and cocktails more than made up for it though, and the desserts (the one area where I think Peacock's struggles) sounded amazing, so I'm already looking forward to going back and trying one of the many other tempting menu options. 


How was everyone else's weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to Mary's yet? Their burgers are my fave along with the Smokey maple shakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! I'm the only person in the world who hasn't been but I hope to change that one day. Smoke maple shakes sound a bit different but I'll try one on your recommendation and report back.

      Delete